Wednesday, October 7, 2009

H1N1 and the medically fragile

31 for 21 Challenge: Day 7

Well I would really like to hear others opinions on what they are planning to do in regards to the H1N1 vaccination? Especially those who have medically fragile little ones or have heart issues. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place on this one. Generally I don't believe in getting the flu shot. I have never had it before and either has my daughter. However with Wysdom he brings a whole different perspective into the mix. I have already seen him in the hospital on three different occasions for a total of 3 months which in comparison to some is not the long. He had RSV when he was 2 months and he was on an iv for a week and a half.

I am totally in a state of fear either way. On one side I don't like all of the chemicals in the vaccine. I have read about the damages that it can cause. However on the other hand I don't want him to get sick and be in the hospital fighting for his life either. What is a mom to do? I would really love to hear your perspectives on all of this. I know that I am his advocate and mother and I have to ultimately choose for him, but I think only peers can truly relate to my my situation.

9 comments:

SunflowerMom said...

I debate the flu shot issue myself every year. I have never had one, my husband only had it once and swore never to get it again. My kids have had them occasionally. They will absolutely NOT be getting the H1N1 shot, I don't think it had enough research before it was released. They probably will not get the regular flu shot either.

FWIW, my older son is prone to respiratory illnesses, he has "reactive airway disease." And my son with Ds has had a few issues with respiratory illnesses also. I'm just going to focus on keeping hands clean, wiping down surfaces and eating healthy.

Good luck with your decision, it is so hard to make when you have a child that has other issues to think about.

sheree said...

Everyone in my family WILL be getting the H1N1 shot as per Gabby's pediatrician's request. We love our pediatrician and talk to her very frequently...I actually consider her more of a friend than a doctor.

I asked her what she thought and she didn't hesitate even for a second. She told us the risks from the vaccine are minimal as compared to the risk of actually contracting the flu. Also, I know she would never reccomend anything to us that she didn't feel was for the best interest of Gabby. I completely trust her so that's what we're doing. We have always gotten the flu shot every other year so we will continue to take the same precautions this year.

Good luck with your decision...I know it's a hard one!

ABandCsMom said...

Carly will be getting the H1N1 shot. I do have concerns with it being a new vacine. However, if she were to get H1N1 it very well could take her life. Due to her heart issues and the fact that she still does not have a normal immune system. She does get the regular flu shot each year. It's a tough call, but in the end ALL of her doctors are in favor of her getting one. Believe me, I have asked each of them.

Baby Gabe said...

Gabe will be getting a flu vaccine and the H1N1 vaccine. I work at a busy Endocrine Clinic at Cincinnati Children's Hospital (the hospital Gabe is currently a patient at). I'm afraid of bringing home something and him getting sick. The flu shot is required for all hospital employees at Children's. H1N1 vaccine is not a requirement yet. I've read up on vaccines and talked to many practitioners about it and I've come to the conclusion that the benefits far out weigh the risks, especially for Gabe. Good luck in your decision, and whatever you choose to do, feel strong about it, not guilty.

Stevenson Family said...

That is such a good debate. I'm in the same boat as you. However, I did get the flu shot last year and I wasn't sick at all. I usually get many colds throughout the season being a kindergarten teacher but last year I didn't get any!! I swear the flu shot worked and I was thankful since I ended up getting pregnant. I got it again this year so we will see. I haven't discussed the H1N1 with Beau's pediatritian but he is getting Synagis for RSV every month until Feb starting in 2 weeks due to his prematurity. Let me know what you decide.

Evelyn Parham said...

I understand your concern. It is indeed a hard decision to make. I say follow your heart and do what you feel is best for Wysdom.

P.S. I feel like you do about chemicals, even more so about this vaccine.

Sasha said...

thanks everyone. I going to keep doing research and I probably won't know what I will do to the last minute. Here is a site that is making me second guess myself a little bit.http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/10/06/Why-You-Should-NOT-Vaccinate-Your-Children-Against-the-Flu-This-Season.aspx#

Beverly said...

I have never had a flu shot Noah has had it twice, my husband works in health care so he gets them each year. Noah and I wont be getting one. It is all scary and wondering what is the right thing to do.

RK said...

I'm just catching up, so I'm late on this debate, but we are NOT doing the H1N1 for my girls, and I'm not getting it myself. And that is even though I've been sick with what they are saying is "probably" H1N1 for a week now. The girls have been here, and we've been extra careful, but they have both been totally fine. The girls' pediatrician said she could not recommend it, especially with the the lack of research on kids with T21 and health issues to boot. I don't trust the vaccine, I don't like to give ANY live vaccine, weakened or not, so we're going to continue to be very careful, make sure they are nutritionally sound (which is a blessing of tube feeding, in my opinion) and we'll get through it. I am sending them to my mother's today for a few since I can't seem to kick this thing...I need some serious rest, and that doesn't happen with these two around all the time. :)

Just my 2 cents. :)